Astro Boy The Joker Globe Inglourious Basterds t-shirt Terminator T2 in Town

September 27, 2009

Hero (Japanese) Movie Notebook. Who is Takuya Kimura?


Do you know who Takuya Kimura is?  Who's that?... I would have rewarded you with a blank look if you had thrown me that question.  And would you have given me the incredulous look that says 'Hello, you don't know Takuya (木村拓哉)? Have you been  staying on Earth all this while?'  Ok, I have to admit I don't know who the hell this guy is. 






For someone who is not into Japanese pop culture, you have to pardon my ignorance. But while I would hardly be bothered if he was standing right next to me on the train, the huge turnout of ladies attending the movie preview of Hero on a fine weekday evening apparently did not of share my lack of enthusiasm.  From the moment the pretty-boy lead appeared on the big screen, the ladies were obviuosly besotted with Tasuya, ooh-ing and aah-ing loudly at his antics.  Bear in mind that these are not teenage girls I'm talking about, they were matured ladies in their mid 20s to early 30s decked out in office attire and really this was something that doesn't happen regularly in Singapore! About 15 minutes into the movie, it finally dawned on me that this was the same guy in the Gatsby ad with all the funny hairstyles.  Turning to my companion, my suspicions were confirmed and he was indeed the same person. And I also learned that Takuya is a Japanese celebrity, member of the immensely popular band SMAP with legions of fans around the world.  Hmm, ok so he actually sings as well.. What, so you want to know what the movie was all about?  I'm sorry, I was too engrossed with the numerous close-ups of Takuya on the big screen and paid scant attention to the storyline. Well, I've already shown you the notebook. If you really want to know, you'll just have to google it yourself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Directories